History of Glens Falls 121 F. & A. M.
Glens Falls was the first Lodge organized in Warren County after the Morgan Affair. Area Masons petitioned Grand Lodge to form a new Lodge on January 16, 1847. Charter was granted on June 8th of that same year.
Charter members include:
Of these, Enoch Ellis, Henry Spencer & Bethuel Peck had been prominent members of the old Hamilton Lodge.
The first meeting was held on February 23, 1847. The following were elected: Avery Tiffany, Master; S.H. Pickett, Senior Warden; K. Allen, Junior Warden; John Martin, Secretary; Enoch Ellis, Treasurer; E. Holman, Senior Deacon; S. Carpenter, Junior Deacon; S. Pike, Tiler.
The first meeting place of Glens Falls Lodge 121 was dedicated on June 24, 1847 which was the Music House (Hall). Starting in 1848 the Lodge met in the upper story of the Bethuel Peck Building on Glen Street. On December 27, 1860, the Lodge dedicated new rooms in a building owned by Hiram Colvin (Col. of 31st NY Militia in War of Rebellion) on a site occupied by Fowlers Store, at that time called "The Exchange".
Dr. Austin W. Holden (author of The History of the Town of Queensbury; member of State Assembly in 1874) was the only person who ever held the mastership in both Glens Falls & Senate Lodges.
Glens Falls recommended the formation of a Lodge at Ft. Edward on May 26, 1852; February 7, 1855 at Sandy Hill; January 21, 1857 at Warrensburg.
It was still the age of candles, antique lanterns and unpaved streets in this little village. Gas lights made their appearance in 1854. Lodge meetings were generally held in afternoons.
Members in public life:
Copyright © 2002 - 2009 Allan M. Bryant. All rights reserved.
For information relating to this site e-mail webmaster.